Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Information Center


As I have mentioned before, my kitchen planning desk can get quite cluttered. I originally had a whiteboard calendar that had a small notes section up, but I didn't keep up with it very well. I do better when I plan on a weekly basis...life can change pretty easily around our household.

I decided to combine and change a few ideas I had seen. The first thing was a calendar and posting area. I wanted a calendar that would be easy and simple. I really just wanted the dates so I could look quickly to figure out the date. I based this off of an idea from one of the idea pamphlets I had gotten from Hobby Lobby. I made numbers for each date and put a magnet behind each and month labels. I also have the option of using pictures of people for their birthdays or subbing in different magnet designs for holidays or special days. This makes the calendar fun and easy to personalize. As far as the base I had my husband help me out a little bit. He happens to work for and HVAC company and has easy access to sheet metal. I had him make me a 17x24 piece. He folded the edges back to make them smooth and not sharp. I then spray painted the piece.

Another option would be to use a baking sheet. This is a simple solution that is quite accessible.

The size I used left plenty of space to post notes and such. And, each month all I have to do is move the numbers and change the month.

So...you may be asking yourself how I keep track of events. Well...as I said earlier...I work better on a weekly basis. So, I repurposed a 8 frame collage frame that I had, replacing the pictures with cardstock. This gives the freedom to choose a design or use plain white (as I did). I love this idea because it simplifies things. The first frame says "Our Week" and the days in order in the rest. Instant dry-erase board! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment